Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Disconnect

I am a fairly intelligent person.

I know more that the average person when it comes to exercise and the human body. In my teenager years I was a competitive power lifter, in college I studied and minored in dance. I took two full years of pilates. I know how to work out and condition my body.

This knowledge doesn't stop with what I should do with my body. I have read many books on nutrition and food. I know what is good for me, and what is bad. I know how much I really need to eat vs. what I actually put into my body. Plus I have tried all the other stupid diets that I should've known better....

Where is the disconnect?

The one thing in common with every diet I have been on is the disconnect between mind and body, if I never figure out where and why this disconnect exists I will cycle forever in this same loop. What is wrong with me?

This blog is a part of my new approach. It is forcing me to THINK about who I am and why I do and don't do the things that I do. If I have the skills to be a healthy happy me, why don't I use them? What is stopping me, other than me?

It's funny people talk about eating due to emotions, stress, anger, etc... I am sure I do that, but actually that isn't my biggest problem.

I shut off.
When I eat I go into this weird MANIC place and don't think, do hear anything, I just speed up and shovel everything in front of me into my mouth... as fast as I can. I don't really taste the food, or enjoy it. The next thing I know, no more food, and I am stuffed and feel gross.

Time to connect everything in the right places.

2 comments:

Nick said...

At the work retreat I went to today, I listened to this overweight (obese) woman talk about how her nutritionist told her she was eating too many carbs. This woman was upset because, "Well, what else is there to eat?!"

I watched her take pastry from the breakfast table, and then an hour later, open up a bag of Cheetos and finished the bag. I sat there and thought - I was there. I could end up back there if I don't keep up this awareness. I felt sorry for her but it just isn't her time yet to realize what she's doing.

Janjan Bedpan said...

I fel this way too Brad. I am interested in reading more. Keep it up.